MGB:Anti-sway bar, also longtrip.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB:Anti-sway bar, also longtrip.
From: bobj@meaddata.com (Robert Jones)
Date: Tue, 25 May 93 11:51:41 EDT
Now that JCWhitless has takend two months to tell me that they don't
have the front anti-sway bar I ordered in stock and won't be getting
it any time soon, I need to find someplace reasonably cheap that does
have them in stock.  JCW did manage to send me the rear bar which I
ordered, but I can't really put it on until I get a thicker front bar.
The rear bar seems really big, like about 3/4" to 1".  What size front
bar do I need to get to match up with this?  Any recommendations for
inexpensive sources?  This is for a '74 MGB Roadster.  Thanks.

Also - Re: Long Trips

I too am planning to take my lbc on an extended tour and I have a few
related questions.  I am planning to drive from Dayton, OH to Myrtle
Beach, SC in June.  I think my route will be I-75 S (maybe switching between
75 and US 25, since they are basically parallel) to Knoxville, then to
Gatlinburg (not sure what the road # is), spend the night in
Gatlinburg (any suggestions for inexpensive hotels?)  Day two I want
drive through the Smoky Mountain Natl. Park and then take the
Blueridge Parkway to I-26 and then continue on to Myrtle (something
like I-26 to I-40 to 501.)  So what are the "can't miss" sights along
the way?  Any roads that I simply must drive?  Any SOLer's along the
way?

How am I going to get two people, two people's stuff for a
week at the beach (Alison didn't buy it when I suggested that she
only bring a bathing suit and a towel :-) and enough spare parts to
ensure a complete voyage?  (I do have a luggage rack now.)
A while ago someone (I believe it was Phil Ethier) posted that the bolt
pattern was the same for MGB's as for several Nissan/Datsun products.
I was thinking about getting a Nissan donut spare to take in place of
my full sized MG wheel.  Has anyone tried this?  How well does it
work?  I'm a little worried about ground clearance.

What arguments can I use to convince my girlfriend and my family that
I am not crazy and that an MG can indeed make the 1300 mile round
trip?  The fact the two out of nine MG's that went on our club's tour
to Hocking Hills (~250 mi round trip) had problems, one of those an
engine meltdown did not help my cause much. ( I view the engine
meltdown to have been the driver's fault not the car's.)  I may take
the car to Louisville and back this weekend as another test.

Thanks,

Bob Jones
bobj@meaddata.com