new guy

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: new guy
From: clfritts@aa6400.b24c.ingr.com (Craig Fritts)
Date: Tue, 25 May 93 10:18:48 CDT
Hello, everybody!
My name is Craig. I have a '65 Gilbern GT1800 which I've owned since about
1978.As many of you know, Gilberns have a tubular frame and fiberglass bodies.
The GTwas offered with either an MGB engine or a Vauxhall V-4 (I think). Mine
has the MGB. The GT body looks a little like a small, distorted Aston Martin
DB4. Maybe.If you squint. They redesigned the car in '67 or '68 and called it
the Genie.   There is a very good article with photos in the June British Car
magazine.
Anyway, when I bought my car the rear screen was cracked down the middle and
thepaint was really bad. Since I was a Poor Student at the time, it stayed that
waythrough several years of abuse. In '83 some kids put a baseball through the
front screen and I could no longer drive the car. I finally located the Gilbern
Owners Club with the help of some family in England and replaced front and rear
glass in '91. I'm restoring the car at a snail's pace but I try to drive it at
least once or twice a week. It's a FLC. (fun little car. I made that up.)
 As you may have read, a jogger recently leaped onto the roof of the car to
escape what better have been a mighty large dog. The Gilbern people are
thrilledto be sending me another rear screen....
According to the list of owners and their cars supplied by the club, there are
three members in the U.S. who own GT's. I have spoken to all of them and their
cars are all right hand drive. Mine is left hand drive. One of them in the NW
is sitting in a field but the owner won't part with it (his wife will...).
Another shares garage space with a bevy of beauties so I'm sure it is in tip
top condition. Oh, the owner isn't sitting in a field, his car is...
Well, I'm looking forward to reading the digest. If anyone else owns a Gilbern
the owners club wants to know! I would also like to hear from anyone with a
Genie or Invader. Cars I wish I still had: a Sprite, a Jensen Healey and a '67
MGBGT. Oh, well...
                   Later,
                    Craig Fritts