Re: MGB:Anti-sway bar, also longtrip.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, hertzber@spot.Colorado.EDU,
Subject: Re: MGB:Anti-sway bar, also longtrip.
From: megatest!bldg2fs1!sfisher@uu2.psi.com (Scott Fisher)
Date: Thu, 27 May 93 14:07:20 PDT
> Scott,
> I was mentioning adding unsprung weight as a way to counteract some of the
> first through the corner wishes of a very beefy rear sway bar.

Oh.  Okay.  Then in that case, I'll just state that it probably
won't work, and that the effect it will have will be to make your
car handle sluggishly and for the axle to want to steer itself in
whatever direction it happens to get bumped.  It'll also result in
a rough ride and will wear out your shocks and bushings faster.
In other words, if Moss is telling people to do this, someone
should insert a copy of Tune To Win into Howard Goldman with
all due speed, in any available aperture.

Basically, adding unsprung weight to the rear end of an MGB will
make it handle like a Mustang. :-)

> For most prople,
> I thing a rear antisway bar can make a B squirly enough that they might get
> into trouble.

Agreed, which is what the ramble about the chassis getting confused
was meant to illustrate.

> Its been about a year, maybe its time someone wrote a MGB suspension artical
> for the group.  This time we should save it for people who join later.

Maybe so.  Meanwhile, I recommend Carroll Smith's excellent book
Tune to Win for anyone interested in suspension modification.  Not
much of it applies directly to MGBs, because the B is so antiquated,
but the basic theory can be easily converted into explanations of
the chassis' dynamic behavior.