Re: MGB:Anti-sway bar, also longtrip.

To: megatest!bldg2fs1!sfisher@uu2.psi.com, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB:Anti-sway bar, also longtrip.
From: bobj@meaddata.com (Robert Jones)
Date: Thu, 27 May 93 17:10:44 EDT
From: megatest!bldg2fs1!sfisher@uu2.psi.com (Scott Fisher)

|> Jeez, where to start?
|>

|> 3.  We know from Point 1 that weight is not your friend.  Of the two,

|>     absorbers, it's turned into heat).  Adding unsprung weight is
|>     particularly bad on a car with shock absorbers that date from the
|>     days when they made airplanes out of old clothes.
^^^^
Yet another quote for the Scott Fisher file.

|> Now, on Bob's autocross car, he probably wants this to a certain extent,
|> because after he and the chassis reach an understanding, the anti-roll
|> bar at the back will make the car more "pointable" -- meaning in essence
|> that the car will have a form of rear-wheel steering.  (Actually, all
|> MGBs do have rear-wheel steering from the factory; adding an anti-roll
|> bar will change this rear-steer effect quite drastically.)

Now remember, this also Bob's drive from Dayton to Myrtle Beach and
back car (though I'm not messing with the suspension until I get
back.)

|> buy a "salt car" and keep the MG for sunny days.  The only time MGs and
|> sand should come into contact is when you drive one to the beach.

See "long trips" :-)

|> I'll be happy to talk about what's wrong with the MGB's suspension,
|> what you can do to make it better, and also what's good about it.
|> A rear anti-roll bar may in fact be the wrong approach because of
|> geometry issues, but we can discuss that later.

Okay, I'll byte (oops, I need that vacation.)  Okay, I'll bite, what's
wrong, what's right and what should I do to make it better?

|> realize that Weight Is Not Your Friend.

Hmmm.  I better cut out those afternoon candy breaks.

|> --Scott "And no comments from anyone who's met me, either" Fisher

Bob "Can one MG really do everything" Jones