re: Smog Tests

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: re: Smog Tests
From: mikej@wv.MENTORG.COM (Mike Johnson)
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 92 06:39:05 PDT
Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, writes:
>My 1970 Europa is exempt from state testing on two counts.  They only test
>1976
>and newer cars.  "Collector" licensed cars are exempt.

>If the Feds started requiring testing of my car to 1970 standards, I am dead
>meat.  There is no dollar limit in cases of "tampering".  I have NONE of the
>original intake and exhaust systems past the cylinder head.  I can not afford
>the original stuff, even if I could find it.

When I took my Europa to the DEQ for its first SMOG test I was really nervous.
I too do not have the emission stuff.  I had carefully warmed the engine.
Kept it warm waiting twenty minutes in line for my turn.  Even went in back
to unlock the boot (bonnet if the motor is back there?) so the inspector
could hook up their tach.  Get to the inspection and the sniffer goes up the
tail pipe and the inspector says "get it up to 2500 rpm".  Not thinking too
clearly in my state I say "Don't you want to hook up the tach?"  Inspector
looks at me with a sort of *you-stupid-kid* look and says "Oh I don't think
we'll look in there."  Needless to say I have gone back to him every two
years.  I don't even point out that he is mistaken about the factory emission
alowance as stated on the Lotus number plate.  Oregon gives 2x the stated
emission rate.  Since the car passes the tougher standard he is making up,
I let it pass.
                             mikej@wv.mentorg.com