Smog Tests

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Smog Tests
From: rbt%dracut@keps.kodak.com (Bob Tufts)
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 92 12:59:25 EDT
In a followup to my original post (in exotic-cars group):
What I saw on tv was the car was put on a dyno and a collection hose was put
over the tail pipe (vs a sniffer tube). This FED test would make you run a
variety of speeds (as sensed by the dyno) and collect your gases. My car
runs quite clean at idle, by the Dellortos sure do fart on the overrun!
I can only imagine how rich it is out the tail pipe. Like I said, in the
big picture of things, I don't drive many miles a year (less than 4K).
But life would be misery returning to Stromberg's and retarded timing.
I sure hope the expense of these FED inspection stations is prohibitive, or
at least they "grandfather" existing state laws with older cars.

-Bob T.