Re: Smog Tests

To: rbt%dracut@keps.kodak.com
Subject: Re: Smog Tests
From: pwcs.StPaul.GOV!phile@medtron.medtronic.COM (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 92 13:25:14 CDT
Bob Tufts writes \

\life would be misery returning to Stromberg's

As bad as Strombergs may be, they are better than the Solex on the Lotus 65
Europa S2.  And you may actually still have the Strombergs sitting around
somewhere.  Anything that was taken of my car is probably in a landfill in
Hawaii.

\I sure hope the expense of these FED inspection stations is prohibitive,

That is my fervent hope.

\at least they "grandfather" existing state laws with older cars.

No, the Feds would never see it as a "grandfather" deal.  That would mean "it
used to be legal, now it is not, but as long as it WAS legal at one time, we
will let it skate on the grandfather clause".  That won't work here.  Cars made
after January 1, 1968, ALWAYS had to meet Federal specs.  There is no period of
legality to cite in a Grandfather clause.

The only hope we would have is that they just decide not to go back all the way
to 1968.

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans Street, Saint Paul, MN   55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105     lotus@pnet51.orb.mn.org
w (612) 298-5324     phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov  (list goes here)
"The workingman's GT-40" - Colin Chapman     "It's a Mistake" - Colin Hay