Re: character...

To: british-cars@hoosier (british-cars)
Subject: Re: character...
From: southern@neit.cgd.ucar.EDU (Lawrence Buja)
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 91 8:44:26 MDT
Jennifer
>I've been thinking about this a bit.  I think my 122s has character (oh,
>a volvo, sorry to stray from the subject at hand) perhaps more than the
>xke next to it.

If that XKE was yours though, I'd bet you would percieve orders of
magnitude increases in the character index.  Perhaps fortunately,
my Volvo is totally devoid of any character whatsoever, aside from
a certain boxy doggedness.  The word "Toaster" comes to mind.  It
keeps going and going and going.....

>The miata on the other hand, is cute, I'll say.  I see the echoes of
>LBCs in its body work.  The oval thingy at the mouth is a clincher.
>But character?  nope.  appeal? yes.  character maybe when it has
>weathered a few years.  to it's owner, that may come more quickly
>than for the masses.

I think that we're on to something here.  Cars come by character the old
fashioned way: They earrnnnnn it.  And that usually requires time or a
successful high-visibility factory sponsored racing/rallying team.

--

The Daimler 2.5L Saloon looked good, but not great, and a possible
deal is still evolving.  Silver w/ red leather interior, right-hand

/\      Lawrence Buja           Climate and Global Dynamics Division
  \_][  southern@ncar.ucar.edu  National Center for Atmospheric Research
      \_________________________Boulder,_Colorado___80307-3000__________