Re: Safety Fast - That includes working on them!

To: british-cars@hoosier, mason@ftp.com, southern@neit.cgd.ucar.edu
Subject: Re: Safety Fast - That includes working on them!
From: Teriann J. Wakeman <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 91 08:27:13 -0800
````My additions ...
Wherer adequate eye & lung protection for the job you are doing.  The first
day I started sanding on my TR3, I noticed that I was spitting up fine
paint dust.  I was outside & in the open.  That stuff is NOT good to
have in your lungs!! So now whenever I sand, sand blast or paint I use a
resperator OSHA approved for the job I am doing.  Those white felt masks
are not even good enough protection for sanding.  When looking for lung
prptection in a store read the labels of all the masks available. If it
does not say it is good for something it probably isn't.

& Jackstands
By the heaviest duty that you can. I prefere cast stands to the bent sheet
metal ones, & where appropriate, I prefer the wide base ones that fit under a ty
re
tyre to the ones that have a centre post that you rest the frame on.
A jackstand should never rest directly on dirt, gravel or blacktop. If
you do not have cement to work on, I suggest resting them on a 2X12.  I
prefer to have a single board long enough to fit under two jackstands.
Also, once you get a car up, give it a good HARD shake.  If it shows ANY
signs of instability, find the weak point & correct it before you go under
for even the smaales & quickest of jobs.  NEVE EVER trust your life to
a jack!!

I live in fear of being under a car when a major earthquake hits.  I live about
one mile from the epicenter of the Loma Prieta quake.  I was not under my car
at the time, but it was up on jackstands.  Interestingly enough, the car
stayed on the stands while houses in my neighborhood fell off their
foundations. I had the rear wheels sitting on the wide base jackstands that
support wheels. The front were on cast jackstands supporting the front frame.
I used two 2X12s, one under both the front jack stands, one under both
the rear jackstands. Each day, before I would work under the car, I
woukd give it a firm shake to make sure that everything was secure.  All this
is sitting on bare earth that occasionally likes to head south.I still
do not get under a car without thinking which way I should roll to get out
as quickly as possible in case things start to feel shakey {the car or the
ground}.

On the otherhand, anyone have suggestions on PRACTICAL ways to protect from
the hazards of solvents on your skin while cleaning parts??

TeriAnn