Re: Safety Fast - That includes working on them!

To: british-cars@hoosier (british-cars)
Subject: Re: Safety Fast - That includes working on them!
From: southern@neit.cgd.ucar.EDU (Lawrence Buja)
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 91 15:07:43 MDT
>       1. Review the procedure you'll be attempting - Know any safety
>          hazards before you start and have safety equipment on hand.
>
>       2. No matter how simple of a task you'll be performing, let someone
>          else know that you'll be working on your car. Perferably someone
>          there in the garage/house with you.
>
>       3. Don't let kids/dogs/cats/etc hand around.
>
>       4. Keep that cordless phone handy (like even in a holster if it's
>          convenient).

        5. If you are working with gasoline or starter fluid, have a water
           hose and a fire extinguisher (with the safety pin already removed)
           close at hand.

I almost learned this one the hard way.  I was priming my fuel
injection system with gasoline when it backfired through the
intake.  Unknown to me, there was a vacuum port on the bottom of
the intake with no hose attached that some gas had leaked through.
The gas then pooled below in the front wiring harness.  The
backfire lit it all off.  Luckily, I'd gotten paranoid about
working with the gas and had a hose in hand when it happened.
The kids, on the porch, thought it was a great show....

A similar thing happened when my little brother got a bit happy
with the starter fluid.  This time I had both the hose and the
fire extinguisher close.  But, in the heat of the moment, I didn't
realize that the pin was still in and couldn't get the extinguisher
to work.

/\      Lawrence Buja           Climate and Global Dynamics Division
  \_][  southern@ncar.ucar.edu  National Center for Atmospheric Research
      \_________________________Boulder,_Colorado___80307-3000__________