Re: Safety Fast - That includes working on them!

To: DSTONE@sc9.intel.com
Subject: Re: Safety Fast - That includes working on them!
From: Michael Sands <sands@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 91 09:39:22 -0800
Sorry, neither happened with my Super Seven but both are lessons
learned.

I was tuning my Z in a garage and thought the car was in neutral
I reached through the window and started it to check the timing. The

tune up was so perfect the car started immediately, drove over my foot
and into the far wall.  No real damage except to my pride...

I got my new NSX and was admiring it out in the drive way.  I wanted
to see the nice forged aluminium suspension parts more clearly and
so I jacked it up.  The car is low and the hydraulic jack with turn
table would not fit under the frame rail.  The "turn table" is that
platform that fits into the end of the lifting arm that pivots and has
all those nice raised ridges that bite into the underneath part of the
car as it is lifted.  (This is critical to the story...)

Since the jack would not fit, I removed the pad turn table thingy and
put a piece of 1/4" wood as a pad to distribute the weight.  I happily
pumped away and watched my new toy raise into the air.  Just as I was
about to stop and crawl under the car slipped of the jack, fell, the
jack shattered the plastic rocker pannel as the car fell past it, and
I jumped out of the way.

The jack has wheels that must be free to turn as the jack lift arm
traverses the arc, raising the car.  With out a strong hold of the
end of the jack to the car, provided either by the ridges of the jack
pad or the wood pad attached firmly(!) to the jack and car, the wheels
will not move and the jack will not stay under the car...

If you look closely at the rocker pannel of my NSX you will see a
half hearted glue job, similar to the ones I used to do as a kit
kid building modeling kits...

Michael