RE>Re- Safety Fast - That i

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: RE>Re- Safety Fast - That i
From: Jerry Kaidor <Jerry_Kaidor.ENGINTWO@engtwomac.synoptics.com>
Date: 5 Dec 91 09:30:48
        Reply to:   RE>Re: Safety Fast - That incl
TeriAnn Wakeman writes:

So now whenever I sand, sand blast or paint I use a
resperator OSHA approved for the job I am doing.  Those white felt masks
are not even good enough protection for sanding.  When looking for lung
prptection in a store read the labels of all the masks available. If it
does not say it is good for something it probably isn't.

**** Amen.  Long live activated carbon!  There is an exception to the above,
though.  If you go by printed warnings, you'll notice that every respirator out
there says "No good with diisocyanates.  And DuPont paints with diisocyanate
say "Use a supplied-air respirator"  ( Scuba, anyone? )

   Unfortunately, diisocyanate lives in all the neatest paints.  What to do?
Well, I happened on a special "manufacturer's rep day" at the car paint shop,
and got to talk to a Binks technical rep.  He told me, that the story with
diisocyanates is that they have very poor "warning characteristics", in other
words, no smell.  So your carbon respirator can wear out, and you'll never know
it.  Aside from that, carbon respirators work just fine with diisocyanate.  But
CYA reigns supreme.

   The solution?  Change it often!  I figure that an element is good for just
about one exterior paint job.  Make that two elements for a restoration.  And
keep that garage door open!

       - Jerry