Re: Why are wires such a pain?

To: DWILSON@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Subject: Re: Why are wires such a pain?
From: pwv@tc.fluke.COM (Pat Vilbrandt)
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 91 09:44:42 PST
>From Dennis Wilson <DWILSON@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU>:

> Ok, I got me nu mota, 'n MGB GT 'n evryone sez don't put on wires keep the
> discs.  Why are wires such a pain??

Everyone's just jealous, Dennis!  Don't listen to them!  They look great!

A conversion kit & new wire wheels probably won't cost (much) more than $1000,
or, you can get used hubs & discs from a wire-wheeled junker for a coupla'
hundred $$, find used wheels for about $50 apiece, and then spend $100
apiece getting them hot-tanked, trued, broken spokes replaced, and re-painted!
But they'll look great!

Then, once you've gotten them on the car, you'll find that you're quite
limited to the selection of tyres to put on the skinny rims, and, as someone
else mentioned, there are good tyres that you're not supposed to put
tubes in, like Comp T/A's.  (But I did anyway - Shhhhhsh!)
But they'll look great!

Then, you'll find that they're neither as strong as steel wheels, nor as
light as alloy wheels, and you'll have to fastidiously grease the splines
and regularly bang on the knock-offs to keep the splines on the wheels from
wearing out.

But they'll look great!

Don't listen to them, Dennis!

   Pat Vilbrandt       John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.        Everett, Washington USA
UUCP: pwv@tc.fluke.COM  or: { uunet, uw-beaver, sun, microsoft }!fluke!pwv
ARPA: fluke!pwv@uw-beaver.ARPA