MGB Owners: Important Safety Update

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: MGB Owners: Important Safety Update
From: mit-eddie!wsl.dec.com!sfisher@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 90 10:32:24 PDT
Anyone with an MGB should take a few minutes to inspect
the lower A-arm on the driver's side of the car.  When
I recently had my street B up for an oil change and
chassis lube, I noticed that the hole in the outboard
end of the A-arm was elongated dramatically, and in fact
was within a fraction of an inch of the edge of the A-arm.
(The passenger's side seems to be all right.)

Since I just recently acquired a spare B, I was intending
to swap the pieces from the spare into the runner and save
some money and time.  To my surprise, the spare -- which
is a year newer and has some 35,000 fewer miles on it --
has the same problem, though it's not quite as badly worn.

So anyone with a B (especially anyone who's thinking about
taking a long drive on a winding road, not to mention any
names, Lydia) should take a quick peek at the suspension.
Here are the details:

Look at the outboard end of the lower A-arm, the end where
it attaches to the suspension upright.  There should be a
large nut in the end of the A-arm; this nut should be an
equal distance from the top, bottom, and outer end of the
A-arm.  You should not be able to see any of the hole through
which the bolt (held on by the nut) passes.

The suspension pieces in question only cost about $15 each
from the usual sources.  The question then becomes how much
of the surrounding stuff you want to start replacing "as
long as I've got it apart..."

--Scott "Hmm, new bushings, and of course a kingpin set..." Fisher