Re: MGB Owners: Important Safety Update

To: banta@sco.com (no user servicable parts inside)
Subject: Re: MGB Owners: Important Safety Update
From: mit-eddie!wsl.dec.com!sfisher@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 90 10:57:47 PDT
>Somone forgot that there are grease nipples on
>the front suspension.  (Not that Scott did, I doubt that problem
>just started in the 1.5 years he's had the car).

Gee, I hope not, though I'm surprised I didn't notice
it on the other couple of occasions I've lubed the front
end.  Actually, it was probably hidden under a wealth of
grime and road gunk.  The spare B is not quite as bad, and
I might not have noticed it if I hadn't been looking for
it.  ("Hey, let's just take everything below the shock
absorber and transplant it in one piece!  Whoops, this
one's almost as bad!")

>The result is the bushing moves with the kingpin, and
>naturally, the bolt moves with the bushing.  Your new bearing
>surfaces for this pivot are the bolt and the lower A arms.  My guess
>is that Scott starts hyperventilating when he sees the groove worn
>into the bolt when he takes it apart.  Any other bets?

I'll bet that Scott asks British Motorsports for the bolt
now as well as a pair of new A-arm pieces and sundry rubber
goods.  ("Oh yeah," they say as I check on availability,
"we sell a lot of those A-arms.")  I'll also bet that Scott
uses up half a jar of Sta-Lube and greases the damn thing
once a week from now on!

While I've got you on the line, can anyone recall the size
of the nut that holds the hub and bearing to the stub axle
at the front of a B?  I've done that R & R a couple of times,
but always with someone else's toolkit ("hmmm, this looks
big enough, nope, better get another").  I think it's 1-1/8"
but I can't quite remember.

--Scott "Let's see what else I need..." Fisher