re: MGB Owners: Important Safety Update

To: mit-eddie!ee.rochester.edu!paul@EDDIE.MIT.EDU,
Subject: re: MGB Owners: Important Safety Update
From: linus!att!speedy!gerry@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 90 15:44:50 -0400
>  I recently bought 2 Triumph Spitfires, 1977 and 1974.  The 74 is
>  in the best condition so I am intending to restore that one.  My
>  dilemma is that I have 3 engine blocks, 2 - 1500 cc, and 1 - 1296 cc,
>  all of these have warn cranks and it looks like they have all been
>  turned once before.  I am looking for some general advice:

  Duane Walzer :::::

In my opinion I would opt for the larger of the two engines.
I really think that the increase in torque of the 1500 engine over
the 1300 is well worth it. I just rebuilt the 1500 engine on my Midget,
and I am always looking for the extra power/torque.
If your are interested, PAECO, sell an overbore kit for this engine
which will increase the capacity to 1670 cc, and they calim that there
is a HUGH inrease in torque. I was go this route, but my crank turned
out to be in very good condition that it did not need even to be reground.

> 2nd - If all my engines need the same amount of work, which one is
>       the best to repair?  From what I've seen the 1500 is more prone
>       to spin a bearing than the 1296.  Is this true?

This is the first time that I am hearing this. As I said after tearing
my engine apart I found that all bearings on the crank were in very good
condition.

BTW:::: This engine has 225,000 miles and this was the second time
that it has been rebuilt. The first rebuid was at around 150,000 miles.
which means that the crank has 75,000 miles and there was no need for a
re-grind. The camshaft on the other hand was way past its prime.

If your are going to fully rebuild your engine, I would certainly get
a new "hot" camshaft/followers. This will increase torque over the complete
rev range and still maintain fuel economy.

Gerry