Re: MGB Owners: Important Safety Update

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM, sfisher@wsl.dec.com
Subject: Re: MGB Owners: Important Safety Update
From: mit-eddie!sco.COM!banta@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (no user servicable parts inside)
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 90 7:35:05 PDT
The problem Scott mentions is not uncommon for MGB's.  The cause for
it is very simple:  Somone forgot that there are grease nipples on
the front suspension.  (Not that Scott did, I doubt that problem
just started in the 1.5 years he's had the car).  The kingpin is
supposed to be able to swing on the bushing that fits around the
bolt where the elongation happens.  When not properly greased, this
freezes up.  The result is the bushing moves with the kingpin, and
naturally, the bolt moves with the bushing.  Your new bearing
surfaces for this pivot are the bolt and the lower A arms.  My guess
is that Scott starts hyperventilating when he sees the groove worn
into the bolt when he takes it apart.  Any other bets?

Check yours today if you haven't recently.  A few bucks in parts and
an afternoon of work are worth it when you realise how nasty a
problem this could result in.

andy
banta@sco.com