RE: Does engine braking waste gas?

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM, cjh@cornella.cit.cornell.edu
Subject: RE: Does engine braking waste gas?
From: mit-eddie!hp6600.desk.hp.com!larry_schwarcz%q0@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: 30 Jul 90 10:31 -0800
Christian writes:

>One of these little tidbits informed me that I should
>not downshift to use engine braking to assist the brakes, except maybe
>on long downhill runs when the brakes might overheat, because engine
>braking wastes gas.
>
>-Christian Haller
>Acknowledge-To: <CJH@CORNELLA>

I don't know if it wastes gas or not, but, I've always heard that it's
a bad idea to break with the engine due to the excessive wear on the
clutch (to down shift) and the transmission.

Which is cheaper to repair:  your clutch (and possibly tranny) or
your breaks?

Yes, if you're on a long down hill where your breaks could overheat,
use the engine.  But, for regular traffic, use the breaks.

           Later...
              Larry Schwarcz
              HP Cupertino, CA
              lrs@hpda.hp.com