Re: road trip advice

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: road trip advice
From: akkana@eeg.eeg.com (Akkana)
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 1990 15:11:26 PDT
miq@chromavac.csd.sgi.com writes:
> credit cards or next month your bills will be quite high.  San Simeon is
> pretty good too, but I can't remember the place I stayed at now.

San Simeon has a neat little british meat-pie shop.  I can't remember the
name of the shop offhand -- I remember it was on the east side of the
frontage road that goes through San Simeon, and I think it was one of the
first places on the road after you've turned onto it from highway 1
southbound.

> 4) How fast do you want to drive? :^)  I have done SF - LA in 3 hours 45
> minutes (via hwy 5 natch) but maybe you want to drive a bit slower....
> SF - SD is 630 miles along the coast, so figure about 10 or 11 hours of
> driving.

That's about right for fairly spirited driving (i.e. I think it takes me
9 or 10 hours in the X1/9, in which I don't have to slow down for the
curves much and I pass a lot of cars over the double-yellow lines).
If you don't plan to illegally pass all the slow-moving Winnebagos,
then plan on 11 hours or more.

If you have a car sans top and enough power to pass the 'bagos, it's a
trip that can't be beat.  I always do it in a single day, and arrive
feeling fresher than when I started out because it's such a nice road
with beautiful scenery and I love driving the car with the top down.

--
        ...Akkana