road trip advice

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: road trip advice
From: mit-eddie!cgl.ucsf.EDU!gregoret@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 90 11:47:02 PDT
Hi,
My husband Chuck and I are planning a road trip from San Francisco to
San Diego in mid-August.  We're gonna go in our '66 MGB and we want to
take route 1 all the way down, stopping perhaps two nights on our way there
and back.  (We're both going to a scientific meeting in SD, but we decided
to make it into a mini-vacation.)

I was wondering if any of you have done this trip in an LBC and if you
might have any advice.  I am mainly wondering 1)  What kinds of
safety/spare equipment should we be sure to have along? We, of course,
plan to take a toolbox, extra oil and coolant.  But is there anything
we might also need? 2)  Are there any super-important safety checks we
should perform before we leave?  I was thinking of taking the car to
AAA for an inspection, but this might make me worry too much. 3) What
are nice (and not horribly expensive) places to stop on the way? Good
bed&breakfasts you know of, etc. 4)  How long does it take?

Thank you,
Lydia gregoret@cgl.ucsf.edu