Re: road trip advice

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: road trip advice
From: miq@chromavac.csd.sgi.com
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 90 09:12:07 PDT
>Hi,
>My husband Chuck and I are planning a road trip from San Francisco to
>San Diego in mid-August.  We're gonna go in our '66 MGB and we want to
>take route 1 all the way down, stopping perhaps two nights on our way there

You realize that there are portions of the coast that you won't be able to
drive along via route 1.  Mostly near the Lost Angels area.

>and back.  (We're both going to a scientific meeting in SD, but we decided
>to make it into a mini-vacation.)
>
>I was wondering if any of you have done this trip in an LBC and if you
>might have any advice.  I am mainly wondering 1)  What kinds of
>safety/spare equipment should we be sure to have along? We, of course,
>plan to take a toolbox, extra oil and coolant.  But is there anything
>we might also need? 2)  Are there any super-important safety checks we
>should perform before we leave?  I was thinking of taking the car to
>AAA for an inspection, but this might make me worry too much. 3) What
>are nice (and not horribly expensive) places to stop on the way? Good
>bed&breakfasts you know of, etc. 4)  How long does it take?
>
>Thank you,
>Lydia gregoret@cgl.ucsf.edu

1) I would suggest getting one of those plastic 150 piece tool boxes that
they sell in the Auto parts stores.  Usually they run about $30 but I
bought 4 of them last Xmas for $11 a piece.  Also plenty of duct tape (the
greatest invention ever) and some bailing wire.  As for spares, I would
follow the old racer's credo, "Take anything you don't want to have to fix
in the paddock, because its a sure thing that if you have a spare, it won't
break."  Of course this means that you will be lugging a trailer around as
well. (Actually there is a fellow in SMOG that has a silver bugeye with a
trailer made from the rear part of another bugeye....)  But if you take a
few lengths of 12 guage wire, some spark plugs, 3n1 oil, some water or
coolant and any easy to change gaskets (for me that's all of em) you
should be well equiped.

2) Make sure you have balanced tires, good clean oil, a full radiator, good
master and slave cylinder levels, and a top that works.  Don't bother with
AAA, they seem to frown upon the SOL'ers.

3) In San Luis Obispo there is the Pink Feather (or something like that)
its kinda touristy, but the rooms are interesting (all different) and the
food is pretty good.  In Carmel, just about any of the places in the "city
by the sea" are excellent, but don't walk around town with a lot of extra
credit cards or next month your bills will be quite high.  San Simeon is
pretty good too, but I can't remember the place I stayed at now.

4) How fast do you want to drive? :^)  I have done SF - LA in 3 hours 45
minutes (via hwy 5 natch) but maybe you want to drive a bit slower....
SF - SD is 630 miles along the coast, so figure about 10 or 11 hours of
driving.

"Mister! Hey mister! You lights are popped up, but they aren't on!"
        "Huh?  Oh gee thanks...<sigh>"
                                An ignorant good samaritan and me in my Bugeye
Miq Millman -- miq@sgi.com or {decwrl,pyramid,ucbvax}!sgi!miq  415 335 1041