Loose Lug Nuts

To: <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Loose Lug Nuts
From: "Steven Rhodes" <swrhodes@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 21:29:58 -0700
Here's something that happened to me (on a Datsun roadster with aluminum
wheels), the lug nuts themselves had been replaced with aftermarket lug nuts
that looked fine but were just slightly too deep on the shank portion. As a
result the lug nut tightened up nicely(against the drum) but the wheel itself
was free to wobble slightly and it wasn't long before the wheel movement began
to loosen up the lug nuts that I was absolutely sure I'd tightened up. I've
forgotten whether it was the right side or the left side which loosened up
(the direction of wheel rotation would determine which side would tend to
loosen and which side would tend to tighten) but in any case replacing the lug
nut washers with thicker items solved my problem. Thereafter the lug nuts
clamped the wheel securely to the drum and I had no further issues with
strangely loose wheels!!  Good Luck with your Bricklin!