Loose lug nuts

To: <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Loose lug nuts
From: "Sean & Sabrina Johnson" <seanjohnson@attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 20:13:57 -0500
Hello all,

I am the new owner of #760 bought from Norm Canfield.  Since I've owned it,
the car has not been on the road much.  Door re-wiring took first priority
then replacing the master cylinder since the brake pedal liked to descend
nearly to the floor.  Here's my latest adventure:  has anyone else experienced
the lug nuts coming loose?  I darn near lost a wheel the other day!  After
that, the lost lugs were replaced and all tightened to more than 100 ft. lbs,
so says the shop.  In just a few days time -- with very few miles -- 3 more
are completely gone, none on the wheel that first exhibited the problem.  What
the heck is going on here?  The car has the original Bricklin spoke/finned
wheels with BFG tires.  Any ideas?  Aliens?  Sunspots?  Do I need to line the
car with aluminum foil to keep out evil gamma rays?  :-)  Seriously, I've
never had a car where the lug nuts would come loose and do so very quickly.
Since the wheel with the new studs hasn't shown the problem, perhaps ALL of
the studs need replaced?

While I am addressing such a knowledgable audience, I'll ask my next question.
There is a Holley 750 cfm carb (sorry, don't have the model number immediately
handy) on the transplanted AMC 401.  When using the primary jets (low to mid
throttle), it runs great.  Get into the secondaries and the engine falls on
it's face.  If you stay in it long enough it might loudly backfire <yikes!>
Anyone know Holley carbs well enough to take an educated guess?

Thanks!  Sean