Re: Loose lug nuts

To: <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Loose lug nuts
From: "GM" <altec210@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 01:32:33 -0400
>Here's my latest adventure:  has anyone else experienced
> the lug nuts coming loose?
====
Not me.
====
  I darn near lost a wheel the other day!  After
> that, the lost lugs were replaced and all tightened to more than 100 ft.
lbs,
> so says the shop.
====
If so, then more than likely the stud threads have been pulled and need to
be replaced.
====
  In just a few days time -- with very few miles -- 3 more
> are completely gone, none on the wheel that first exhibited the problem.
What
> the heck is going on here?
====
As Scott noted, the proper thickness crush washer is essential.
====
 > Since the wheel with the new studs hasn't shown the problem, perhaps ALL
of
> the studs need replaced?
====
That's my assumption.
====

> While I am addressing such a knowledgable audience, I'll ask my next
question.
> There is a Holley 750 cfm carb (sorry, don't have the model number
immediately
> handy) on the transplanted AMC 401 When using the primary jets (low to mid
> throttle), it runs great.  Get into the secondaries and the engine falls
on
> it's face.  If you stay in it long enough it might loudly backfire
<yikes!>
> Anyone know Holley carbs well enough to take an educated guess?
====
I assume this is a mechanical secondary double pumper, if so, then it could
be the linkage adjustment and/or float level, and/or power valve, and/or
pump as Scott noted. My guess is the power valve's stuck.

Really though, for long term, if it's a DP on a stock 401 then either wake
up the mill to handle it or switch to a spreadbore 600cfm vacuum
secondary/appropriate manifold for best all around street performance.

GM