RE: Interesting Solo II news

To: "'John Kelly'" <76067.1750@compuserve.com>, <ba-autox@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: Interesting Solo II news
From: "Donald McKenna" <donbarbmckenna@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 18:55:53 -0800
John Kelly writes:

> I'm hearing there were no speed measuring devices on hand at Fort Myers.
> Thus a statement about some Imaginery speed is pure hokum.
>
> If there is to be a maximum speed, it's time to acquire the equipment to
> do
> the job.
> Several years ago at Crows Landing SCCA's "insurance" lady was on hand to
> measure speed with a sports radar unit. The A Mod Tui driven by Barry
> Goldine barely cracked 70 mph on a long straigt.

First, a reminder: The 2006 SOLO rules in paragraph 2.1, A. state "Speeds on
straight stretches should not normally exceed the low 60's(mph) for the
fastest Stock and Street Prepared category cars".

At the SD Tour two or three years ago my AS class car ran into the rev
limiter early as I was coming downhill into the full throttle finish
section. With my tire diameter, gearing and 6450rpm fuel cutoff (rev limiter
engage point on the dyno) my car's 2nd gear goes 75 MPH. On later runs, when
shifting to third gear, the max speed probably exceeded that 75MPH. And this
car is not as capable as the SS class vehicles which are the benchmark for
the speeds that the "fastest" Stock class vehicle should be able to achieve.

Even though I, and many others, really enjoy, and want to continue, the fun
and challenge of high second gear/third-gear courses (remember LP) that,
BTW, we (I) love to see several times during the year at AAS events, I
wonder if from a safety point of view (like in the wet) if maybe these kinds
of courses at National high-visibility events might be asking for trouble?

> I hope future protest committees get their act together.

I think you are probably correct in both your earlier comment about
measuring devices and in this latest comment. Unless a specific max speed
and a control mechanism for monitoring is in place we're all just flapping
our jaws.

But, I also think that the "low 60's" limit might be out of date.

                Don