RE: San Jose Grand Prix wrap-up

To: Carl Merritt <cmerritt@luminous.com>, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: San Jose Grand Prix wrap-up
From: 4D Sport <barry.chafin@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 10:30:35 -0700 (PDT)
Yeah,

It was Saturday and these guys had just bullied their way past one of my team
members so I approached them from behind, asking if they were "on-call" to the
area.  I was concerned that an escalation was under way that I didn't know
about.  They looked at me like I had no business asking them the question so I
explained the policy I was responsible to enforce to which one bristled and
replied; "These are our streets and we go where we want, you can't keep us from
it".  I considered his demeanor, his apparent lack of interest in the
spectacle, looked at his gun, remembered that they were the escalation point
beyond Staff Pro, observed them disappear toward turn 4 and went back to my
post.  Perhaps I should of reported the incident at the time but the cars were
on course and it's noise was impeding clear communications.

Guess I owe Tam an apology for not alerting him as he would of been the next to
encounter them on their journey.

Barry

OTOH, on Friday I chatted with a fist full of officers who fully
respected the rules, loved talking about the cars, and were simply
amazed like kids in the candy store by the drifting display =). Ah
well, cops are human too, most will be cool and some will be a PITA...

-Carl