RE: San Jose Grand Prix wrap-up

To: <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: San Jose Grand Prix wrap-up
From: "Carl Merritt" <cmerritt@luminous.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 09:51:52 -0700
> PS.  Remind me to tell you about my experience when carrying
> out the SJGP Operations Manager's instructions, I suggested
> to a SJ Police team that they weren't to be in the restricted
> space (hand guns win out over blue locks, at least in my book ;^)..

I actually ejected an cop on Sunday who tried to insist in being in the
turn 5 area to talk with his buddy the tow truck driver.  I was
disappointed later in the day to see somebody had let him in against our
specific instructions and he was hanging around turn 6.  Even though I
didn't approach him I think he saw me go for my radio and disappeared,
though I wasn't ultimately able to get Bryan on the radio for backup.

OTOH, on Friday I chatted with a fist full of officers who fully
respected the rules, loved talking about the cars, and were simply
amazed like kids in the candy store by the drifting display =).  Ah
well, cops are human too, most will be cool and some will be a PITA...

-Carl