Re: Ford mechanic

To: kml@patheticgeek.net
Subject: Re: Ford mechanic
From: "Richard Urschel" <osp13@mybluelight.com>
Date: 9 Jan 2004 17:49:23 -0000
On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 08:34:13 -0800 Kevin Lahey <kml@patheticgeek.net> wrote:
> Is there some secret handshake I need to learn?

It's a function of demographics. In heavily populated areas the customer
service job is not a plum in terms of relative pay and one has to deal with
stressed out, overworked people who want their service NOW, so one becomes
demoralized, demotivated, and in need of periodic detoxing.

In Placerville, service people want to hug you if you aren't chipper and happy.
Took some getting used to, but I can just drive down to Sacramento if I want
some good old fashioned surliness.

"Did they give you an estimate for installing the tow mirrors, Mr. Urschel?
"It's on a due bill."
"Oh, we're doing it internally then. Excellent! Would you like to wait for it?"
"No, I'll pick it up in the morning."
"I'll see if I can get it done this afternoon anyway."
"No need, really."
"Just the same I'd like to have it ready for you should you change your mind."

Called an hour and a half later.

Next day cashier walks warily to the window, looks at bill, and exclaims, "Oh,
it's free!"
Makes me suspect customers still bitch about the cost of automotive service up
here.

Sign up for Internet Service under $10 dollars a month, at
http://isp.BlueLight.com