Re: Informal Poll on "sort of" pre-reg. for autox !

To: Jerry Mouton <jerry@moutons.org>, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Informal Poll on "sort of" pre-reg. for autox !
From: Alan Gruner <algruner@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 16:08:35 -0800 (PST)
I have liked the registration timing and scoring
system we have for several reasons.
1.It is fairly easy to understand/learn.
2.Aside from the timing equipment, it is reasonably
weatherproof and doesn't stop if the power goes out.
3.Regstration is not destroyed if someone drops a
computer on the pavement.
4. It makes use of an abundant resource at our events;
intelligent people.

Here is my suggestion for the first version of an
online registration process.

1. Member preregisters and pays through the website.

2. Prior to the event, the information is used to
preprint cards with name, address, member number,
driver license number, car number, and any other
information he or she chooses to include. The cards
are clearly marked prepaid. If someone doesn't show
the card can be used at a future event.

3. At the event, the members who register online pick
up their cards at the registration table and sign the
waivor. We can have two lines. If someone has a clever
way to flag novices, those that online register could
pick up their cards at the "Novice Table"

4. Tech, timing, and scoring continue the same way as
now.

We could add work signup to the online registration
and preprint names in the sign up sheets as well. My
concern is having a complete newbie signing up jobs
like starter, or card sorter that require a lot of
familarity with how events run to be done effectively.

This is a complete tangent, but one of my first SFR
events was Aquabowl 2000. A well intentioned
registration worker suggested I be card sorter and
stay out of the rain. At the appointed time with cars
ready to roll I sat down next to some named Jim (Ochi)
and woman named Katie (Kelly) and said, "Show me what
to do." There was another complete novice trying to
run the timer. After 15 minutes, a few reruns from
timing problems, and numerous missing or late cards,
Katie was ready to kill us and Jim was sorting and
scoring. It was not pleasant and wasn't until a slush
event that year I worked in the motorhome again.

Anyway, that is my proposal.

Alan Gruner

http://personals.yahoo.com