RE: 2000 Winter Slush Series-revised

To: "'ba-autox@autox.team.net'" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 2000 Winter Slush Series-revised
From: "Talley, Brooks" <brooks@frnk.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 16:43:40 -0700
adozzell wrote:

>A solid trailer cew
>is essential to a smooth event and maybe we should restrict the
>trailer crew to those folks that can do the job.
>At the 8/13 GGF event Jim Ochi and I ran the trailer alone and
>we averaged 21s overlaps for our run group and we had time to
>hold the start and run out onto course to reset cones that had
>been knocked over and missed by the crew on course.
>I can buy the safety argument for overlap times and I can buy
>the argument that you have to wait for folks to finish their
>conversation before running to pick up a downed cone, but I
>don't agree that the trailer cannot keep up.

Hmm.  Well, I'm a relative newbie, and I haven't tried a trailer job for
just this reason: I don't want to be the idiot who brings things to a
screeching halt.  So far I've worked the course at every event (8, I think),
because I'm confident I can do it well.

But you know what: the first event I worked course, I had an experienced
person out there with me to tell me what to do and generally educate by way
of example (thanks, Greg).

Maybe there needs to be an "apprentice" position in the trailer, or some
better way to get educated on the trailer jobs and how to do them well.
That is, if the trailer's efficiency is really a problem that needs to be
solved here.

-b