Re: Rules for Tech Inspection

To: Craig Boyle <craig_boyle@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Rules for Tech Inspection
From: Kenneth Allan Mitchell <nokones@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 17:27:38 -0700
All mandatory rules will be strictly enforced. We do not have any
option. The safety tech inspection as described in section 3.3 is a
mandatory SCCA rule. What you see that doesn't get checked at the SFR
bay area events doesn't mean it its Ok to let slide at other SFR events
outside of the SFR Bay area. These rules will be applied at the
Divisional. Leaky beer kegs and suction cup radar detectors will be
required to be removed before the car passes tech.

When I do the tech inspections at the AAS events I get a lot of SFR Bay
Area competitors with various types of infractions of the SCCA safety
tech rules that have either been allowed to slide or the tech
inspector(s) do not know what they are doing and these competitors
expect still expect to slide on the infraction. I'm sorry this will not
happen.

Craig Boyle wrote:

>  Looking at the link, what will generally pass at SCCA
> events is much looser than the rulebook, I'll use the
> term "General Practice" for what I see at SFR events,
> i.e.:

No, all safety inspection items must be compliant with the SCCA rule
book.

> A.
>      All loose items, inside and outside the car,must
> be removed.  Passenger's seat back and squab shall be
> secured.
>
> *General practice allows loose floormats, suction
> cupped radar detectors etc.

No, suction cupped radar detectors must be removed

> B.
>      Snap-on hubcaps, detachable fender skirts, and
> trim rings must be removed.
>
> *GP sometimes gets people to remove hubcaps. The local
> interpretation seems to be that little hubcaps that
> don't come off easily are OK (e.g. Miata 94-7 alloys)

Anything that is help by a spring clip and not permanently atteched
including all wheel center caps that are press-fit in teh wheel will be
removed
> C.
>      Wheels must be safely affixed.  They shall not be
> reversed so that the lughole taper does not mate with
> the chamfer of the lugs.  All studs and lug nuts must
> be
>      present and functional.
>
> *never seen a lug nut torque-down test, would like
> this.

I do do a thread engagement on variois wheels depending on the car. At
the 98 Divisional this was done at the discretion tech inspector it that
depended on the wheel & vehicle type. Yes certain cars and wheels were
profiled.

> D.
>      Tires must be in good condition, with no cord or
> belts showing or cracks in the tread or sidewall.
>
> *GP allows the more experienced guys to get away with
> corded tires within reason. Never seen an
> inner-sidewall check. Never seen a check of the
> entitre tire, just what's easily visible.

Corded tires will not be allowed at anytime. Measureable tread must be
present according to the rule. This is strictly enforced especially on
the Concrete.

> E.
>      Minimum tire pressures must be at least 25 pounds
> in cars under 3,000 pounds and 35 pounds in cars over
> 3,000 pounds, or the tire manufacturer's maximum
>      recommended pressure.  Experienced drivers should
> be permitted to use their customary pressure.
>
> *Never seen a check of rookie tire pressures. I have
> dispensed advice.

I do at AAS events.

> F.
>      Seat belts must be properly installed with
> attaching hardware secure and tight.
>
> *Never seen such a check

Again, at AAS events this is checked.

> G.
>      Throttle return action shall be safe and
> positive.
>
> *Sometimes this gets checked

Certain cars get checked. Profiling again.

> H.
>      No excessive fuel, oil, or brake fluid leaks
> should be observed when the engine is running.
>
> *GP is to check engine with engine off.
>
>  For all Prepared and Modified category vehicles,
> engine
>      crankcase and radiator overflow/breather lines
> must terminate in containers of at least one quart
> capacity.  These containers cannot be vented into
>      the driver/passenger compartment.  All Prepared
> and Modified category vehicles must be equipped with
> an engine oil vent tank, and an engine coolant
>      vent tank if coolant is used.

No problem this is easy to check. Unless the engine has never been
started before prior to tech and there are no wet spots or any moisture,
I think that if things are dry that should be a clue.

The catch can is checked at AAS

--
Kenneth Allan Mitchell
mailto:nokones@ix.netcom.com