Re: Rules for Tech Inspection

To: Jerry Mouton <jerry@moutons.org>,
Subject: Re: Rules for Tech Inspection
From: Craig Boyle <craig_boyle@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 10:39:16 -0700 (PDT)
Well, is your point that we don't check most of this
stuff? Or is that the rulebook should be rewritten to
reflect reality? If we did this level of tech it would
take forever. What SFR does isn't close to the
rulebook, but it is typical of what is accepted in
other regions. Do you want to see this changed?

Over the years I've seen only a few cars that got
through tech that I don't think should have: 1) A
Scirocco with really dangerous looking suspension at
SFR in '98, 2) A Mustang with a leaking beer keg   in
the trunk for a gas tank (not SFR) 3) An Eclipse that
shed a wheel because of loose wheel nuts (not SFR)

 Looking at the link, what will generally pass at SCCA
events is much looser than the rulebook, I'll use the
term "General Practice" for what I see at SFR events,
i.e.:

A.
     All loose items, inside and outside the car,must
be removed.  Passenger's seat back and squab shall be
secured.

*General practice allows loose floormats, suction
cupped radar detectors etc.

B.
     Snap-on hubcaps, detachable fender skirts, and
trim rings must be removed.

*GP sometimes gets people to remove hubcaps. The local
interpretation seems to be that little hubcaps that
don't come off easily are OK (e.g. Miata 94-7 alloys)
C.
     Wheels must be safely affixed.  They shall not be
reversed so that the lughole taper does not mate with
the chamfer of the lugs.  All studs and lug nuts must
be
     present and functional.

*never seen a lug nut torque-down test, would like
this.

D.
     Tires must be in good condition, with no cord or
belts showing or cracks in the tread or sidewall.

*GP allows the more experienced guys to get away with
corded tires within reason. Never seen an
inner-sidewall check. Never seen a check of the
entitre tire, just what's easily visible.

E.
     Minimum tire pressures must be at least 25 pounds
in cars under 3,000 pounds and 35 pounds in cars over
3,000 pounds, or the tire manufacturer's maximum
     recommended pressure.  Experienced drivers should
be permitted to use their customary pressure.

*Never seen a check of rookie tire pressures. I have
dispensed advice.

F.
     Seat belts must be properly installed with
attaching hardware secure and tight.

*Never seen such a check

G.
     Throttle return action shall be safe and
positive.

*Sometimes this gets checked
H.
     No excessive fuel, oil, or brake fluid leaks
should be observed when the engine is running.

*GP is to check engine with engine off.

 For all Prepared and Modified category vehicles,
engine
     crankcase and radiator overflow/breather lines
must terminate in containers of at least one quart
capacity.  These containers cannot be vented into
     the driver/passenger compartment.  All Prepared
and Modified category vehicles must be equipped with
an engine oil vent tank, and an engine coolant
     vent tank if coolant is used.
I.
     Steering "spinner" knobs shall not be permitted.
J.
     No broken or missing spokes or more than one
loose spoke per wheel shall be permitted in wire
wheels.  No cracks shall be permitted in disc or cast
wheels.
K.
     Brakes must have an adequate pedal, sufficient
fluid in the master cylinder, and no apparent
hydraulic leaks under pressure and must operate on all
wheels.

* never seen a must operate on all wheels check.
L.
     All swing axle cars, except Porsche, must have a
camber compensator, or negative camber on the rear
wheels, or have axle-limiting straps.  Stock pre-1967
     Volkswagen straps are not sufficient.
M.
     Wheel bearings, shocks, steering, and suspension
shall be in good operating condition.

*GP is gets checked adequately
N.
     Exhaust must exit behind driver or to the side of
the car.
O.
     On board starters shall be provided
P.
     Any wet-cell battery moved from the
manufacturer's original location shall be in a
non-conductive marine-type container or equivalent,
and the hot terminal
     shall be insulated.  All batteries (on-board
power supplies) shall be attached securely to the
frame or chassis structure independent of the
marine-type
     container.
     NOTE: This will allow the use of gel cell
batteries without a non-conductive marine-type
container where applicable.
Q.
     Helmets for all occupants of the vehicle are to
be inspected for condition, fit, and compliance with
Driver's Safety Equipment - Helmets (4.3.1)

*Never seen a fit check

http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/misc_rules.html#3.3.3