Re: Proposal for vintage-oriented autocross class.

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Proposal for vintage-oriented autocross class.
From: Carson or Wendy <dammwood@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 20:43:57 -0700
Regarding the wheels and tires thing. I don't think you will find any
car that is older than 1973 to have anything resembling a good selection
of competitive street tires regardless of what ever size wheel it came
with stock. I just have to look at my own cars to see that, The X has
13" wheels today's real choices are "R" compounds or some ingenious use
of a snow tire. The 77 alfa, I might be lucky that it has 14". I have
period 6" momo's but stock was narrower, same boat as the X. The 61
alfa, just replaced these last year, took off 175,70,15 off of 15x5
rims. Put on 185,65's Dunlop sport A2's but the gearing is gradually
being reduced at every tire purchase because of the lack of choice
through normal channels. I would think that if you started to make
allowances with this parameter you are crazy to open that can of worms.
Sorry, my two bits.
--
Carson Damm
Ft. McMurray, AB