re:Proposal for vintage-oriented autocross class.

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: re:Proposal for vintage-oriented autocross class.
From: "Ayer, John K" <john.k.ayer@boeing.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 16:38:00 -0800
Darn, it's another Digest Delayed Response.  Are we still talking about
Vintage? :-)

This is very similar to our local Vintage class.  And it's a terrific idea.

We use the phrase "period correct" to limit things like MOTEC Injection or 9
inch wheels on your  MGB.  If it didn't exist then, it's not allowed now.  We
use 1975 as the limit (1973 cuts out the 260Z for example.) and have just added
the verbiage to allow  "substantially unchanged" to deal with models that
continued past that, ala MGB, Spitfire, even some TVRs :)

Kudos for including the camshaft allowance, that is one of the most important
changes that we don't do anymore.

One nit:  You will be hard pressed to get ANY CamaroBird or Corvette to
participate with a 7" wheel limit.  They've been running beyond 7 inchers
before I was born, the '73 'vette  had 7.5 (maybe 8)inch rims.
(PS I'm a liar! Maybe its 2 or 3 nits...and I was in college in 1973:)
For cars that were not Stock back then, fender extensions were pretty popular
on some (Datsun 510 BRE styled, mostly) cars that may be common, and you'll
find any number of higher compression pistons or heads used to take best
advantage of the cams... that poor '78 MGB just isn't going to make it with
it's 7.5/1 compression, and again the GM cars(and even some TVRs:) will hate
you for tempting them cams but no compression changes.
These are mods that may go beyond today's preparation standards but they were
the basics of increased speed in 1973.  MG, Triumph, Datsun, Cameroon and
Corvette are easily 90% of the market for non-Stock vintage, since that's what
there was then, so don't discourage them.
911s are the other 10%, and they don't need any help...

These are only nits if your intent is to encourage these vintage cars to
compete as they may have "back in the day".
If your intent is to give people a chance to run their garage queens without
harming them, then nevermind...

Kimball Ayer
ex-CS TVR (under construction)

PS I would break out the 4 and 6 cyl. TVRs to V3, and V8 TVRs (all 3 that
exist) will do OK in V1.
Now I'm done.  No really, honest, I promise...