re:Proposal for vintage-oriented autocross class.

To: "Ayer, John K" <john.k.ayer@boeing.com>
Subject: re:Proposal for vintage-oriented autocross class.
From: "Scott M. Stone" <sstone@foo3.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 17:24:31 -0800 (PST)
On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, Ayer, John K wrote:

> Darn, it's another Digest Delayed Response.  Are we still talking
> about Vintage? :-)
>
> This is very similar to our local Vintage class.  And it's a terrific
> idea.
>
> We use the phrase "period correct" to limit things like MOTEC
> Injection or 9 inch wheels on your MGB.  If it didn't exist then, it's
> not allowed now.  We use 1975 as the limit (1973 cuts out the 260Z for
> example.) and have just added the verbiage to allow "substantially
> unchanged" to deal with models that continued past that, ala MGB,
> Spitfire, even some TVRs :)

bah, you should make an exception for the 1st gen Rx7s - they're every bit
as "vintage" and "classic" as the 240/260Z... i've owned 5 Rx7s and 3
Z-cars, including a 1971 240Z, a 1979 Rx7, a 1982 Rx7, a 1983 Rx7, a 1982
280ZX Turbo, a 1983 280ZX turbo, a 1988 Rx7 Turbo, and a 1993 Rx7 R1
(which I still have).

The 1st gen and the 240Z feel similar to me.. that nostalgia "this would
be a great race car" feeling that you get, even while you're pushing the
damned thing home :)