Re: 10yr Stock Class Ruling

Subject: Re: 10yr Stock Class Ruling
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 16:58:16 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Thu, 2 May 2002, Alan Dahl wrote:
> I think there is a misunderstanding here. The intent is not to eliminate
> anyone but rather to have different preparation levels for cars less
> than 7 years old and built in 2004 and later (totally bone stock except
> for race tires) and more than 7 years old or built in 2003 or earlier
> (like today with perhaps a couple of extra mods thrown in and street
> tires). That should not cause anyone to leave the sport, everyone would
> have a place to play and it would keep expenses down for everyone, both
> Nationally and Regionally.
>
> So to sum it up:
>
> Cars built in 2004 and later and less than 7 years old: Showroom Stock
> with race tires
>
> All vehicles built in 2003 and earlier or more than 7 years old
> (starting in 2011): Like Stock is now with the addition of springs and
> air boxes running street tires (just like ST).
>
> I think this could work. Whether we want to try it or not is another
> question however...

As someone recently said here... this seems to me to be a solution looking
for a problem.

A critical difference between roadracing and autox is that when you
roadrace you nearly always have a dedicated vehicle.  The overwhelming
majority of stock class competitor vehicles are also in some form of
street driver status, even at the national level.  This also meets the
stated goals of making autox a very low barrier of entry sport.

Leave it alone.  None of these "solutions" (including the oem shock
proposal) make the situation any better.  At best they exchange sets of
evils, and I'd rather stick with the evils I'm familier with.

Mark