10yr Stock Class Ruling

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: 10yr Stock Class Ruling
From: Autox86300ZX@aol.com
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 15:53:11 EDT
After reading all about what should and shouldn't be done, I needed to put my
two cents in on this debate.

Even though I am not a regular at the Solo II Nationals, I have been to
several of them. If, for some unforeseen circumstance, someone in the top
levels of SCCA decides to make this 10 year limitation thing a reality at the
National level. Let me tell you what is going to happen. (THIS IS A FACT.)

The 1,200 plus attendees at the last Solo II Nationals is going to drop like
Enron stock. You would be lucky to see 500 at the Nationals if this rule went
into effect. The drop in attendance to National events, would mean a drop in
income for SCCA. A drop in income would mean an increase in membership fees,
entry fees, and other avenues that SCCA would have to take, to make up for
the incredible loss of income from National Events.

Maybe some of you that can afford to go out and buy a $10,000 car or spend
$10,000 on a 10 year or less older car wouldn't be bothered by the increase
that SCCA would have to do to stay alive as an Organization. But, for the
thousands of us that do not have a disposable income and Autocross as a
HOBBY. Would look for other Organizations that do what we love and have no
exceptions to older cars.

Another thing that will happen to SCCA is this. Members with vehicles that
are older than 10 years old, will leave the club. This means members that may
hold offices with their region. This means the members that may be the ones
that volunteer to Chair a local event. This means the members that come out
early in the morning and stay all day to help, and then pick up cones and
pack up the SCCA trailer. These people are "VITAL" to the survival of the
SCCA. Without them, there would not be local events. Without local events,
there wouldn't be anyone to help run the National events that come to a
REGION that depends on those volunteers.

Take KANSAS REGION. The Solo II Nationals are held every year at Forbes Field
in Topeka, Kansas. You have one of the best Solo II Stock class drivers in
this region. Ron Williams is always campaigning a vehicle that is 10 years or
older. He is one of the many members in this Region that competes in an older
vehicle. He is pretty much one of the few that help Kansas Region put on
local events and helps organize the members to staff the National events that
come to Topeka. If this change takes place, who is going to step in to take
their place as volunteers to help set up the Nationals Courses, to help
organize social events, to stuff the welcome packets, to man the gate at
Forbes. Without the base membership of SCCA, there wouldn't be a Sports Car
Club of America.

The newest car I have ever Solo'd is a 92'. The majority of the cars I have
raced are early 80's. If this change happens, then I would be one of the many
that would not renew my membership. I would run to other clubs that would
accept my car for what it is.

Now, I could be selfish and say. Yeah, go ahead and make the change. Because,
I am the President for the Crown Autocross Club of Greater Kansas City. We
don't adhere to SCCA rules. We use them as a guideline. But if the 10 year
rule went into effect, Crown would benefit from it in more ways than one. Our
membership would grow beyond our expectations, and our revenue from these new
members would swell as well.

Paul Poore
President - Crown Autocross Club.
Rallycross Chairman - Kansas City Region SCCA
Big Time Volunteer for Kansas City Region Solo II and Road Race Worker
#51 G Stock 86 Nissan 300ZX
#51 F Stock 82 Datsun 280ZX Turbo
#51 O2-S Rallycross 88 Oldsmobile Toronado Trefeo