Re: best route, Nebraska to Topeka ??

To: "Alan Dahl" <adahl@eskimo.com>
Subject: Re: best route, Nebraska to Topeka ??
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 04:50:52 -0500
>Yes but Denver to the Kansas border is one bleak stretch of highway.

Hell, Denver to Salina is pretty bleak!  :-)   Scenic fields of waving
golden grain get tiresome after 2-300 miles of it! But at least the
off-ramps are frequent enough you don't need to carry spare cans of gas!

>It
>says a lot that Nebraska is way more scenic than eastern Colorado
>(apologies to the 3 people that live in eastern Colorado). Also I've
>found that I-80 is usually in much better shape than I-70 and is much
>less likely to have road construction than 70 which seems to have 10
>miles of construction for every 20.

It's mostly done now. The barrel dance we were doing the past couple of
years on I-70 is mostly complete, but there is one pretty good stretch still
between about Paxico and Maple Hill. What's completed is lovely new roadway.
And even that stretch I just mentioned is on new road that they built last
year. By this time next year, eastern I-70 will be a joy to drive.

--Rocky