Re: best route, Nebraska to Topeka ??

To: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Subject: Re: best route, Nebraska to Topeka ??
From: Alan Dahl <adahl@eskimo.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 22:31:34 -0700
On Monday, August 27, 2001, at 02:04 PM, Rocky Entriken wrote:
> With a tip of the hat to Eric Salem, if you are coming from California
> on
> I-80 -- that is, through Wyoming -- I would suggest another route
> altogether.
>
> At Cheyenne, go south to Denver on I-25. Then west to Topeka on I-70.
> That's
> how we came home (to Salina) from California last February, towing a
> U-Haul.
> Actually, there is a shortcut south from Laramie on US-287 that we took
> because I-80 was snow-closed Laramie>Cheyenne -- but it is a little
> weird
> trying to find your way onto I-25 again from 287. I'd stick to the
> Interstates.

I would avoid the Laramie->Ft Collins road that Rocky mentions here.
It's a big-time speed trap and the officers aren't afraid to write you
up for way over your actual speed. Bill Beutow and I got nabbed on that
road once for doing 73 in a 55 rather than the 61 or so we were actually
doing. Besides it's slower this way than taking I-25 once you factor in
the time it takes to wind through Ft Collins,

> You not only avoid that notheast swing of I-80 between Lincoln and
> Omaha,
> you also get a nice southeast diagonal between Denver and Limon, and
> another
> between Goodland and Oakley, which reduces distance. And
> Cheyenne>Denver is
> not as long a run south as Omaha/Lincoln>Topeka.

Yes but Denver to the Kansas border is one bleak stretch of highway. It
says a lot that Nebraska is way more scenic than eastern Colorado
(apologies to the 3 people that live in eastern Colorado). Also I've
found that I-80 is usually in much better shape than I-70 and is much
less likely to have road construction than 70 which seems to have 10
miles of construction for every 20.

- Alan Dahl