Why concrete? (was Re: Membership numbers)

To: "Rick Brown" <free2000@quixnet.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Why concrete? (was Re: Membership numbers)
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 11:41:58 -0500
>.02   Why should Nats be on concrete?  Is it that asphalt has a greater
>potential for breaking up with that many runs? Otherwise, for the majority
>of drivers who don't have $$ or tire sponsorship, concrete can be
expensive.
>We (CalClub) just started using a concrete site (El Toro) which is a great
>site and the grip is cool, but we get lots of complaints about the tire
>wear.
>
>Rick Brown
>FP 240Z

Only one reason, really. The available BIG lots -- i.e. airport aprons --
are concrete.

We did not go looking for concrete, we went looking for size, and the size
we found happened to be concrete.

There have only been four asphalt Nationals -- Wentzville (race track), Lake
Geneva (race track), Columbus (fairground access roads) and Gurnee
(amusement park parking lot). The biggest of those events, Gurnee in 1982,
had a crowded paddock with half the entry we see today.

The others -- Salina/east, Fort Worth, Hutchinson, Salina/west, and Topeka,
have all been on sites built as airports. Three of them (Hutch, Salina/West,
Topeka [Maybe Fort Worth too but not sure about that] were former military
bases.

--Rocky