Re: Why concrete? (was Re: Membership numbers)

To: Phil Ethier <pethier@isd.net>
Subject: Re: Why concrete? (was Re: Membership numbers)
From: Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 19:19:17 -0700 (PDT)
On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, Phil Ethier wrote:

> To: Phil Ethier <pethier@isd.net>
>

> >On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, Phil Ethier wrote:
>
> >> Where is the evidence that low-speed turns are more destructive to
> pavement
> >> than high-speed turns?
> >
> >When we run on asphalt surfaces where surface damage occurs, it occurs on
> >the lower speed, tighter turns, not on the higher speed turns.
>

> Which may only illustrate Emerson Fittipaldi's observation that most drivers
> go too fast in the slow turns and too slow in the fast turns...

It doesn't really matter, does it?  The issue arose from the question of
how much damage autocrossing does to an asphalt surface, and if that
damage is more likely in tighter autocross turns than higher speed ones
that might be more comparable to road race use.

a)  Yes, there are asphalt surfaces where autocross use causes noticeable
damage.

b)  My empirical evidence is that those turns are the tighter, therefore
slower, turns.

c)  That doesn't necessarily mean that autocross use will damage a
roadrace surface, but it implies that it had better be tested beforehand,
because roadrace use may not be as harmful.

That's the thread I was trying to follow; my response was to your request
for evidence that low-speed autox turns are more harmful than higher speed
ones.  Let's try to stick to the point, or at least kill it cleanly and
move on to something different.

KeS

PS - that observation predates Fittipaldi, I saw it attributed to Kenny
Roberts, and I don't imagine it was original with him.  Still often true.