Re: Prepared Cantillever Tire Rule Vent

To: "Dick Rasmussen" <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Prepared Cantillever Tire Rule Vent
From: "Paul Foster" <pfoster@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 10:08:49 -0500
Dick Rasmussen writes:

> Paul,
>
> FYI,
>
> I think you still missed the point. I think the DOT reference is for info
> only. The proposal is not suggesting that DOT tires replace slicks for
> Prepared. My understanding is that the current cantilever slicks which
work
> on SCCA mandated narrow rims (in many Prepared and Production classes) are
> likely to be phased out of production. This means that slicks which have
> similar width but need wider tires will be the only comparable tires
> available.
>
> Therefore, if I read it correctly, the proposal was generated to get
people
> thinking about the transition from cantilever slicks on narrow rims to
> similar width non cantilever slicks on the wider rims needed to support
the
> non cantilever slicks.

Then I agree it sounds like they need to increase the wheel width to
accomodate this. Do you know what is being done in Production to resolve
this?

> I did not read anything that said DOT tires would replace slicks in
Prepared.

The way I read it is that they are proposing that you be allowed to run your
SP wheels with DOT tires in Prepared to attract some SP people. If so think
that is crazy because they very well could have an advantage given much
larger wheels.

> No mention is made (since this is a Prepared class issue at this point)
> about the Formula Ford (CMod)cantilever rear tires that have a 7.5 inch
> tread width, a 10 inch section width but must work on the maximum
specified
> FF wheel width of 5 1/2 inch. Maybe the appropriate materials are still
> available for our relatively light cars.

Are these allowed in FF road racing? Any rumors there?

Paul Foster