RE: Prepared Cantillever Tire Rule Vent

To: "Paul Foster" <pfoster@tampabay.rr.com>,
Subject: RE: Prepared Cantillever Tire Rule Vent
From: "Bruce Haden" <Bhaden@ucsd.edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 08:41:16 -0800
Last I heard, the tire companies had actually said they had NO PLANS
to stop making cantilevers. Anyone have RELIABLE info to the contrary?
With all the road racing and autocross people out there using them,
I don't see why they would be any less profitable to make and sell than
any other tire. After all, NONE of the tires we use are exactly high
volume products. As to the proposal itself, I think it's lunacy to try
to measure tire tread width. Whos gauge do you use? Where do you measure
from on the side wall? (after a hard run in my 2100lb Pinto the "edge"
of the tread is about an inch wide on each side of the tire and rolls up
the sidewall). Much easier to measure a metal wheel. We've all done it.
Keep the present wheel widths for cantilever tires and have a weight/width
formula for the rest. For example, using straight wall NON-DOT tires
as follows;
                car weight              wheel width
                1600lbs or less     7"
                1601-1850                 8"
                1851 and up               10"

The whole proposal, to me, seems to be a very covoluted answer to a problem
that isn't there.  My .02...