Re: Prepared Cantillever Tire Rule Vent

To: "Paul Foster" <pfoster@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Prepared Cantillever Tire Rule Vent
From: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 19:51:41 -0500
At 08:59 AM 2/26/01 -0500, you wrote:
>But I still don't like it. To me stock and SP are the DOT classes and
>Prepared and Mod are the slick classes. If someone wants to run DOT tires on
>rims that are legal for the class that would be his business but I don't
>like the idea of allowing bigger wheels. It sure sounds like this was dreamt
>up by some SP guy is thinking of gutting his car and perhaps going for an
>easier Nationals win in Prepared to me, but everybody already tells me I'm
>paranoid. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Paul,

FYI,

I think you still missed the point. I think the DOT reference is for info
only. The proposal is not suggesting that DOT tires replace slicks for
Prepared. My understanding is that the current cantilever slicks which work
on SCCA mandated narrow rims (in many Prepared and Production classes) are
likely to be phased out of production. This means that slicks which have
similar width but need wider tires will be the only comparable tires
available.

Therefore, if I read it correctly, the proposal was generated to get people
thinking about the transition from cantilever slicks on narrow rims to
similar width non cantilever slicks on the wider rims needed to support the
non cantilever slicks.

I did not read anything that said DOT tires would replace slicks in Prepared.

No mention is made (since this is a Prepared class issue at this point)
about the Formula Ford (CMod)cantilever rear tires that have a 7.5 inch
tread width, a 10 inch section width but must work on the maximum specified
FF wheel width of 5 1/2 inch. Maybe the appropriate materials are still
available for our relatively light cars.

Dick Rasmussen
CM 85
85 Van Diemen RF-85 Formula Ford