Keeping coil-over springs perched

To: "'autox'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Keeping coil-over springs perched
From: "Linnhoff, Eric" <elinnhoff@smmc.saint-lukes.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 09:06:39 -0600
In anticipation of receiving my new "built"  Konis (C'mon you guys at
ProParts West, put down that coffee  ;^)  I have a few questions.

How does one keep the springs in/on/around /whatever the upper spring hats
when the car is up on a jack?  I assume, never having worked with coil-overs
before, that the spring will want to fall out of place when the pressure is
removed from it.  I saw a neato (I guess) deal that Hypercoil sells that
works sorta like a tender spring but it offers no additonal spring rate.
It's a thin "flat steel" spring and is supposed to help push the spring up
into the upper hat when the car gets jacked up.  When the car is back down
it (I guess) goes totally flat and becomes just a 3/4" or so spacer on the
lower perch.

And, how does a KnuckleDragger determine the proper spring rates?  How do I
know whether to go up or down?  How about bump and rebound settings?

Thanks in advance.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
1998 Dodge Neon R/T
#69 STS    #13 TLS