Re: NASCAR officials say Earnhardt's belt ripped

To: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>,
Subject: Re: NASCAR officials say Earnhardt's belt ripped
From: "Brian Berryhill" <brianberryhill@flashmail.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 12:19:16 -0600
> Several of the statements in the article were simple facts: NASCAR has no
travelling medical team, whereas F1 and CART do (complete with mobile
treatment centers), the major car manufacturers and sponsors have been
willing to fund safety research in NASCAR for some time, but the sanctioning
body hasn't accepted the offers. NASCAR officials have been extremely
close-mouthed about their safety testing, whereas F1 and CART have been
totally public with theirs. Why is this?

The lack of a travelling medical team really confounds me... with a budget
as big as nascar, they should have one.

> >Remember, all this talk started because folks couldn't understand why
> >Earnhardt died in what looked like a fairly innocent crash.  If the lap
> >belt failed before or during the crash, that would certainly explain it.
>
> Yes. And, if the lap belt was not fully functional, none of the other
stuff matters at all. So this incident may be unrelated to other recent
NASCAR fatalities.

I agree the crash did look very innocent... I've seen crashes like that in
NASCAR many times and the driver walked away from them.  I wonder if the red
flag had anything to do with it.

> >Hopefully we can all just be patient while the investigation(s) figure
out
> >what really happened so that changes, if needed, address the real
problem.

> Regardless of the cause of this fatality, NASCAR needs to bring their
safety technology up to date. Hopefully, public pressure will help bring
this about.

Agreed again...

But, the part I'm curious about.... how often have fatalities happened in
SCCA racing?  Specifically, Solo II, and non-specifically, all of the other
SCCA racing that happens.

Brian