RE: NASCAR officials say Earnhardt's belt ripped

To: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>,
Subject: RE: NASCAR officials say Earnhardt's belt ripped
From: "Michael McAvoy" <thedoc@premier1.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 01:50:07 -0800

Actually, there is a rule against an electronic automatic stuck-throttle
kill system.  No electronics may be used on the cars, as they could be
"cheater" engine management systems, and NASCAR doesn't want to police them.

They did mandate a manual kill-switch, which many drivers have said they
didn't have time to use.  Hmmm...  Very effective!

Similarly, NASCAR does not allow any sort of crash recorder boxes to be
used, again under the premise that they could be used for cheating.  Several
companies have offered to provide the systems to all teams, and have been
refused by officials.  I really believe that such a system would prove
invaluable in understanding what happens in a crash.

Yes, F1 did have a hard time policing computerized systems for things like
traction control.  Their solution?  Allow it!  :)

> Who's really to blame for any lack of adoption of safety devices?

Surely, as you say, teams must be responsible for their own safety
equipment.  However, I also feel that the sanctioning body has an obligation
to make the sport as safe as possible.  They should have the responsibility
of requiring a certain level of preparation, and ensuring that it is met.

Knee-jerk reactions are not warranted, but I simply don't understand
NASCAR's repeated refusal to research safety beyond real incidents and the
status quo.

- Michael McAvoy