Re: NASCAR officials say Earnhardt's belt ripped

To: "'TeamdotNet'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: NASCAR officials say Earnhardt's belt ripped
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 18:49:38 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Sat, 24 Feb 2001, Jay Mitchell wrote:
> Several of the statements in the article were simple facts: NASCAR has
> no travelling medical team, whereas F1 and CART do (complete with
> mobile treatment centers), the major car manufacturers and sponsors
> have been willing to fund safety research in NASCAR for some time, but
> the sanctioning body hasn't accepted the offers. NASCAR officials have
> been extremely close-mouthed about their safety testing, whereas F1
> and CART have been totally public with theirs. Why is this?

When you state "NASCAR has no travelling medical team" you're (I assume)
definately stating a fact.  What you haven't done is show that not having
a travelling medical team is any less safe.

> >Hopefully we can all just be patient while the investigation(s) figure out
> >what really happened so that changes, if needed, address the real problem.
>
> Regardless of the cause of this fatality, NASCAR needs to bring their
> safety technology up to date. Hopefully, public pressure will help
> bring this about.

Just out of curiosity, what are these great leaping advancements in safety
that have occured over the last three years?  I would have thought I
should have heard about them, given NASCAR has apparently gone from being
one of the safest forms of motorsports to a death trap...

Please don't get me wrong.  I don't want to stick my head in the sand and
ignore safety advancements any more than the next guy.  I think that
_questions_ should be asked.  I absolutely 100% _don't_ think that any of
the armchair quarterbacks who probably have the same level of racing
safety training I do (i.e. none) are right in their demands that NASCAR
"get with the times".

Mark