RE: NASCAR officials say Earnhardt's belt ripped

To: "'TeamdotNet'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: NASCAR officials say Earnhardt's belt ripped
From: "Eric Salem" <eric@mail.brown911.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 18:36:09 -0600
<<I think that_questions_ should be asked.  I absolutely 100% _don't_ think
that any of the armchair quarterbacks who probably have the same level of
racing safety training I do (i.e. none) are right in their demands that
NASCAR "get with the times".>>

<<?  How is a carbon seat(aside from being flamable and much less
maleable(sp)) any better than an AL seat from a safety perspective?>>

So carbon fiber seats aren't a saftey advance? One saved my dad's life at
the SCCA Runnoff's this past October. Aluminum bends and punctures. Easily.
Aside from CF being stronger and lighter than aluminium what did you mean?

<rant mode on>

Other questions from an arm-chair quarterback:

Full Face helmets are not safer than open face helmets? Hello.

one-time crush rollcage padding isn't an advance over the old-style foam?

Electronics that shut off an engine with a stuck throtle in milliseconds
aren't an advancement?

crush-able foam isn't an advancement over concrete walls?

The HANS device is just hype that somehow F1 and CART both bought off on?

Dale Ernhardt died because of multipule failures. a) He hit a wall. b) A lap
belt broke. c) there was nothing to seperate his chin from the solid object
it hit.  d) nothing to slow down his chest before it hit the same solid
object. e) there was nothing to restrain his head's movement reletive to his
torso.

NASCAR has finally shown itself to be the WWF of racing once and for all.
How did that belt fail? why did it take five days to announce it? Was the
saftey harness ever inspected by the sanctioning body? Why didn't anyone
notice the failed belt on Sunday?

The only problem with this tragedy for NASCAR is that now sponsors might
want answers NASCAR can't give. F1 hasn't had a death since Sena (?) in '94.
Higher top speeds, much smaller cars.

</rant mode off>