RE: Mounting Tire$

To: "Linnhoff, Eric" <elinnhoff@smmc.saint-lukes.org>
Subject: RE: Mounting Tire$
From: Todd Farris <toddf@pop.tamu.edu>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 17:29:32 -0600
>They did good work but every time I utilized their services their machine
>would put 4 evenly spaced sets of triple-claw marks/gouges on the inside of
>the wheel.  Not a huge deal since they're "race" wheels but somewhat
>disheartening none the less.

The cleat marks are because the mounters are lazy and are not using the
machine to it capability.  If you return there, you might suggest that they
clamp the will instead of using the expanding cleats.  If they understand
this, great.  If they don't, get the hell out of there!!!

I own my own machine (Coates) and charge $2 per tire for mount and
dismount, you dispose of your own.  As for purchasing your own, it still
takes some time and training to become competent at changing race tires
(ie, low profile, stiff sidewall).  Second, when you scratch them, you own
them, they scratch them, they own them!!  As one of the other guys
commented, you also need a large air compressor and a good amount of space.
 I purchased a used rim clamp super cheap and have not had to spend
megabucks but it was only justified by the fact that I have changed tires
for our club for years when I was employed at tire stores and have gained
people's confidence.  I also race CP on 16x12 slicks which the average tire
guy is not going to mount in under an hour/tire and we also race a Late
Model stock car which means we change tires often.  Just remember, if you
own a machine, you have just become everyone's best friend!!

good luck

Goodyear Racing tire buster (Nascar tires)
Part time mounter for R&S Racing
Former Discount Tire tire buster
Anal Retentive about tire mounters!!
Turbo Toddie